Thursday, November 5, 2009

not so invisible

I seem to have lost my invisibility cape.

This morning I was driving to work, going a little too fast.

As soon as I saw the cop I knew I was going to get pulled over.

In my defense the road goes from 50 to 45 and I got pulled over right after the change. But, I was still going too fast. He clocked me at 60, I can't help but wonder if that was before or after I tapped on the breaks.

I've only been pulled over one other time, and that is a good story. This time was nothing like that other one. I wasn't sure where I should pull over. I picked the Bank of Oklahoma parking lot.

Before he even got to my car I was looking for my license.

Willing myself not to cry.

He got there and I still hadn't found it. He said do you have anything with your name and birth date. I didn't but, told him I was pretty sure that my DL was in the trunk.

Can he even let me look in the trunk? That seems dangerous. You know, not that I'm dangerous. But, some people are. He said it was fine.

Took my expired insurance card and went back to his car. I hollered after him, it's a Florida Driver's License.

I kept looking just to see if he could find it.

When he came back he told me that the State of Florida says I don't have a license. I still didn't break down. But, it was there I was on the cusp. I could feel it coming.

He let me look in my trunk. Where all of my clothes from this past week were. Thank goodness I practically live out of my car. But, it still wasn't there. He said you keep looking. I'll go back and run it some more. "I can't let you go without confirming who you are, you understand right?" He said. Of course, I understood, I could be some crazy criminal.

I'm not.

I've only been pulled over once twice.

Still no tears.

It wasn't in my trunk. I went back to the car to look some more. And, I found it. It was in my door. I don't know why, or when I put it there. I never use it. Ever.

I took it to him, in his car. Am I allowed to walk up to his car?

Guess so.

He said thanks he'd be right with me. I sat in my car trying to think of why Florida said I didn't have a driver's license. What if something happened and I didn't know about it. I was worried. I just knew I was going to jail. For driving illegally.

Still no tears.

When he came to my car, he explained. Florida has me in the system wrong. He searched for Ashlee LastName and couldn't find me. Because Florida has me listed as Ashlee LastName MiddleName, he assured me this isn't a problem. I just need to tell the next cop that pulls me over to look it up that way if I don't have my license on me.

I don't get pulled over. (I didn't tell him that)

He gave me a ticket for going 5 over instead of 15, I told him thank you. It seemed appropriate.

Still no tears.

He let me go and I didn't go to jail. I do have a driver's license. I am allowed to drive. He never said anything about my expired insurance card. I think I'll put the right one in my car this afternoon.

Maybe I should go back to crying? I can't help but wonder if I would have gotten a warning if it wasn't such a production finding out I am who I say I am? Or maybe that helped me?


How much does it cost for going 5 over?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.