Tuesday, August 26, 2008

words of wisdom.

These are my recent favorite words of wisdom:

It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do.

I don't know who said this or where it came from so no one gets credit. But, I think it's true I don't regret much in my life, things happen for a reason. But, the things I would count as regrets are things I didn't do. Since I realized this I find myself doing things I may not have done before. I hope I don't regret them some day!


many people of our generation have some desperate fear of commitment. i think its really why our generation switches jobs, careers, houses, belief systems, cars, friends, etc. all the time. its rampant. its not just in america, i was informed yesterday. i am certain we will regret the commitments we did not make when we are older, unmarried, with no children, lose passion for our jobs which currently seem to be the only thing people truly care about, and are home alone with all of our stuff. its kind of a sad state.

The previous has been edited to protect the innocent. But, could it be more true? I am afraid that I will wake up one day and regret that that I did not do. See a theme? It's true though people of our generation are afraid to commit. Look at me with my fear of picking just one career for the rest of my life, I'm supposed to be able to be whatever I want to be but no one ever said anything about everything I want to be.

The truth is, we don't know what's going to happen-we just think we do. Often we make a big deal out of something. We blow up scenarios in our minds about all the terrible things that are going to happen. Most of the time we are wrong. If we keep our cool and stay open to possibilities, we can be reasonably certain that, eventually, all will be well. Remember: maybe so, maybe not. -Richard Carlson

I wonder if this was written for me, I am the queen of scenarios, the master of blowing things out of proportion, the perpetuater of terrible things are going to happen. This is what I will miss having Christie for the most, she always listens to my scenarios and talks me down from my blowing out of proportion and she is always there at the end to say see all is well, but never you were wrong (well almost never).

"be careful not to fall in love with being the guy who is always depressed"

There was more to this but I don't remember and the author is unavailable but I will tell you that the whole thing was almost poetic. The part I do have is important to remember I don't think that this one was addressed to me but, I think we should all be careful of it. Some of us call these people 1-downers. :)

No comments: