Thursday, October 8, 2009

the not so friendly state.

Yesterday was one of those days.

I woke up without my alarm (because I didn't set it) on time. And thought to myself that it was going to be a good day....

I got ready and left the house, only to get a mile away and realize that I didn't have my phone, so I turned around to get it. Because really I just can't survive without it. When I got home I couldn't find it anywhere...so I went to find a house phone to call it, the first one I tried was not on it's dock and the second one had been knocked over so it was also not charging. Luckily we have one with a cord. Not so luckily this meant I had to call it and then run around the house trying to figure out what room it was in before my voice mail picked up. Eventually, I found it. (in my bed all covered up and snuggly warm.)

I got in my car and headed out again.

Only to not remember if I shut the garage door. To save myself the agony of thinking about it all day and getting home and wondering if a robber/murder went in and closed it and was waiting for me, I turned around and went back to make sure it was down. (it was)

I headed out for the third time and got further than I had all morning when my car was acting funny. And I couldn't accelerate at a normal speed, it was weird. The car behind me got pissed and passed me on the 2 lane road, and my car started shaking something awful. I thought for sure that my engine was going to fall out.

I pulled over and got out and looked UNDER my car (I was almost certain some vital piece of car had fallen out) I didn't see anything unusual. So, I walked around and saw it...

A Flat Tire.

Are you kidding me? It's been less than a month since my last flat tire?!?!

I know the drill, I got out got my spare tire, happy that nice guy from last time (did I blog about that? I should I have pictures) aired it up for me, and the jack and the lug nut loosener. I loosened the lug nuts, I learned you did this before you jack it up. It was amazing to me that I was able to loosen them. watch out I DO have upper body strength!

Then I looked at the jack and looked at the car. I have no idea how this thing works!

Why do I only get flat tires when I am wearing dresses and heels?

I proceeded to call every male I know, none of them answered, not the one that would know how to do it, not the one that could google how to do it, not the one that was closest in proximity to me. none of them.

8 men in pickup trucks passed me. 8! None stopped. none! I was starting to feel very overwhelmed last time the first car stopped. So, I sat on the ground and called Aunt Kay (who does not know how to use a jack and informed me that someone always stops and helps her) Finally, a nice man asked if I needed some help, I nodded my head yes (because really he looked like the type that would run in the other direction if I burst into tears, and I was getting pretty close)

He changed my tire with only a minor bit of drama (because really it wouldn't be me if there wasn't some bit of drama involved) and I was on the way to the tire store, where I got 3 new tires (seriously why didn't they tell me the first time I needed 3?!?!)

8 tucks didn't stop...that doesn't count the cars (I wasn't counting them) I had heels on! I thought Oklahomans were friendly?

The rest of my day was thankfully uneventful.

No comments: